BUYING A BOOM
Take note of the following when buying a boom:
- The rigidity of the boom. Rigid booms are director, therefore better for the control of your sail. The carbon boom is particularly rigid. Carbon is recommended especially in the longer booms.
- Take note of the diameter of the boom. Thinner booms are more comfortable to hold. You can buy a boom with adiameter of 26mm
- For example the Aeron MCT26. This one is especially suitable for smaller hands.
- Try to avoid sailing with the boom on the furthest position as this weakens the boom somewhat.
- Buy a carbon boom for the rigidity and the directness of your sail.
- Never buy a carbon boom for a low weight.
- Hybrid booms are also available. These booms have a combination of aluminium tube with a carbon end piece. You can find them with the aluminium booms.
Booms at Telstarsurf
Just like this online surfshop, the Telstar surfshop has a great collection of booms in stock. In the surfshop you can find booms from Northsails, Neilpryde, Aeron and Pro-limit as well as other brands.